Sunday 20 March 2011

Playlist: Breakin' Shapes

I'm joining in today with Week 5 of the Mumra Playlists. Sarah, the lovely blogger behind Mumra, sets a theme and you blog a track or tracks that you feel fits it.

When I saw this week's theme, Breakin' Shapes, I knew I had to join in. I am not the world's best dancer, but I'm far from the worst too. I don't always want to dance for hours but I do like to dance if the music is right. There is one song that will always get me dancing. In a way, it provides the soundtrack to a part of my life - a time when I was ridding myself of someone who had a profoundly negative effect on me to the point that it destroyed my confidence and my self-esteem, even though I knew that most of the things that I was being made to believe were untrue. As I managed to break myself free of his influence, this track had been out as a single for a few months. Some of the words seemed rather relevant:

Heartbreaks and promises, I’ve had more than my share
I’m tired of giving my love and getting nowhere, nowhere


and

So baby if you want me
You’ve got to show me love

and to me, signified the rebirth of my independence (and my confidence to some extent). If you don't know what it is, it's Show Me Love by Robin S, one of the biggest dance anthems of the 1990s. 

Serious part aside, the whole track is a cracker. The riff from the Korg M1 synth (I looked that up!) is so distinctive, I can recognise the song within a split second of it starting. I can't help but want to move whenever I hear it. Even if I'm not actually dancing, my foot taps or I nod my head. Many is the time I have stopped what I'm doing to dance to it  - at home, I'm not about to start some weird solo flashmob in a clothes shop, although that could be interesting. Have a listen and I defy you to remain motionless throughout. I can't do it anyway. 



Hop on over to Mumra to discover more entries that will get you toe-tapping, body-popping and yes, maybe even starting that flashmob in a clothes shop...

Mumra Playlist
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails