Tuesday 12 April 2011

Playlist: Childhood

Another week when Sarah's prompt is irresistible to me. She wants to know about the music of our childhood. I am going to share not one, but two songs with you today which reminds me of that time. Please do remember that I am much older than the rest of you.

Vinyl was the order of the day when I was small. My parents had a decent record collection (if you excluded the James Last). The first was a particular favourite which we played loads of times. I will stress that both of these songs date back several years before I was born. I may be old, but I'm not THAT old.



A corker, yes? It's a classic; so upbeat and brilliantly performed by Bobby Darin. I can't believe he died at only 37. He was only 23 when he recorded Mack the Knife - his voice sounds so mature. His was the definitive version and when I hear it, I end up humming or singing this for hours afterwards.

The other song is completely and utterly different. It's an instrumental piece, a film theme tune,  but you do hear it on Radio 2 occasionally.



I don't know exactly why I like it but it just does remind me of my childhood. The violins are soothing and uplifting at the same time.

Apparently, A Summer Place was a romantic comedy which must have been unremarkable as it appears only to be famous for the instrumental theme, recorded by Percy Faith. It won a Grammy for Record of the Year, becoming the first film theme and the first instrumental piece to do so. As a child, I was totally oblivious of this and only realised that it was a film theme as an adult.

That's my Childhood Playlist. What's yours? Click on the badge below to find out more choices from other great bloggers.

Mumra Playlist
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails