Friday 6 August 2010

I am an Ologist.....


The more observant amongst you - and probably those of you that are regular visitors to this blog (whaddya mean you're not?! Disgraceful!) - will notice this new badge that has recently appeared on my blog. It's my first badge, and it says that I'm an official Toys R Us Toyologist. Gosh, my mother will be so proud. I'm an Ologist at last. This post is to explain how it all came about, and what it means for the blog.

It all started on Monday, when I got notification that I was being followed by said account. Not that unusual occurrence really - buggy companies seem to start following me regularly until they realise my kids are too old for such things and fade gently into the distance. I normally wait to hear back from followers these days - it's my way of avoiding spammers or those who are going to fill my timeline but never actually speak to me, a few slebs excepted. But then, almost instantly, the account tweeted me a message saying could they send me some info about the Toyologist programme. I said yes, curious to know more.

I then got an email inviting me to join, as I was an "influential mummy blogger", which made me laugh. A lot. After all, my blog has only been going since April; I had a large hiatus in posting when I had a seriously busy time with my life and I've not long gone over the 30 posts. Also, I don't know why, but I don't think of myself first and foremost as a mummy blogger - this blog is a mix of things that make me who I am and one of them happens to be motherhood. Apparently, it's also based on my other social media activity so perhaps it's because I tweet a lot (no surprise there). Quite how they found me is anyone's guess, although I think I've got lucky and ended up on the blogroll on some very good and highly regarded blogs, for which I am very grateful.
He's my friend on Facebook now, you know

The premise of the programme is that they give us toys, we review them with our kids, and share our experiences of them with others. How could I say no? I have yet to review anything on this blog so it will be nice to do something different, toys equal fun and that's one of the five Fs this blog is meant to be about.

The best bit of all about becoming a Toyologist is that once you join, Geoffrey Giraffe adds you as a friend on Facebook. My street cred has shot up massively in the past few days. If I ever had any, that is. I've yet to tell the children about this new development, partly because I don't know what we're going to get and I don't want them to expect the world but they have a ton of toys ready to go out to be tested.

So, in the coming weeks, there may well be the odd review of the toys we get on this blog. You may well find similar on other blogs that you probably know quite well. What you can also do, if you want to, to go to the Toys R Us UK Facebook page and Like it and you can find out more as the reviews start to appear.

12 comments:

  1. Cooey! A fellow Toyologist here, are you going to the tea party? It would be lovely to meet you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'm also a fellow Toyologist. Look forward to meeting you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully, if we can make it down to the tea party. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not 100% yet. I need to work on logistics and finances etc. It would certainly be lovely to meet everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, go you! Will be lovely for the kids too! Look forward to reading your reviews. Blag us some Star Wars stuff, will ya? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well hello, Mr Masterblagger. ;) I am surprised you can't blag some Star Wars stuff of your own. Tell you what - if I get some stuff, perhaps I can borrow your boys to road test it (and their Dad too if he likes.... ). One of the ways we can try out toys is with friends via toy parties. I'm sure I'll become very popular if I have one of those. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a Toyologist too! I'm starting to get rather jealous of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi (again!). Have you seen a few of us then? I think we were chosen on the merits of our blog which makes me laugh cos I don't understand someone like Garry (below) who has been blogging much longer than I and has a wider readership doesn't get asked - is it cos he is a dad, not a mum? - and I do.

    But still, I am not complaining as my kids are going to be over the moon when toys start to arrive. They get excited when any parcel turns up, even if it is the most boring thing in the world that we've ordered. So you can imagine toys turning up is going to create major excitement. I'll have a couple of giddy kippers on my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely idea - clever old Toys'R'Us! I'd like to be a LEGO toyologist - wonder if they do it too? hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks L. Keep an eye on that Lego account, sounds like you missed out. They were only asking Monday cos I asked if Monkey was too young and the answer was yes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails