Thursday 27 October 2011

Stopping the scratch

Missy Woo doesn't like headlice either
Apologies now if this post makes you itch. (Also, apologies this is another review but I'm on a bit of a catch up this week!) But it's time to talk about the one subject that the minute you start thinking about it, you just have to scratch. Headlice.

I got through my school years without headlice but I grew up in the time of the nit nurse, who would regularly check hair for signs of infestations. Strangely enough, there wasn't a huge problem with them then. Things are very different now.

We got lucky in Monkey's first year and weren't bothered by them, even tho we had a couple of notes sent home to warn us to check. Nada. The fact he has quite short hair probably is a factor here.

Then Missy Woo started school. Her hair is much longer, but we've always made sure it's tied back or in a plait. Then, one day, she came out of school with her hair down and I knew we were in for trouble. Her "bobble" had come out and she hadn't asked the teachers to put it back in. Within a week, I found headlice on her. At the time, I just had one of those combs and then spent half an hour combing through her hair to rid her of them. Now, her hair is like mine - fine but lots of it and it's a nightmare to comb through with those damned combs. I did my best but I wasn't sure that I had indeed got them all.

A week later, I collected Monkey from school and was waiting for her to come out when I spotted something on the crown of Monkey's head and I knew he'd got them. Probably from her. I'd been scratching all this time too, but I have to say, I never actually found them in my hair. I resorted to a shampoo that got rid of everything but oh boy, it was hard to use. Just to make sure, I put it on everyone in the house so that we were sure that we weren't passing it between each other.

Since then, (touch wood) we have remained louse free. I explained to the children how headlice can pass between children so they know that putting heads together can transfer headlice and I check as often as I can.

However, I've been trying out a product that could be a useful weapon to keep them "nit" free (I know that is not the right term, but it sounds better that way. It's called Linicin Prevent Spray which you just apply to dry hair in the mornings, and - although I don't understand how - it makes your hair invisible to head lice for up to 7 hours, so pretty much the length of a school day. I've been applying it to Missy Woo's hair and so far, so good. The spray is colourless and doesn't have a strong smell, plus it's completely non-toxic and insecticide free. The only problem I had is it made Missy Woo's hair look a touch on the greasy side, which I guess comes from the castor oil in the spray.

We've certainly not had any problems with headlice but then, we have not had any dreaded notes in the school bags, warning of further infestations. Yet. They are as inevitable as requests for donations for school events. Let's hope it stays that way. If you do get unlucky, Linicin have a 10 minute shampo and a 15 minute lotion that will rid you of the little blighters.

Right, I'm done now. You can stop scratching.

(I was sent a bottle of Linicin Prevent Spray to review and I have not been paid any other compensation. All words and opinions are my own and I have not been told what to write.)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails